It wouldn't a surprise if I told you that one of my favorite activities is vacationing. Traveling to new places and experiencing new things has always been very exciting. Tasting new foods, seeing the sights, and exploring are what I live for. Doing it with friends... well, that makes it even better.
Scavenger Hunter is an app that I created to help groups have more fun with friends while vacationing. I wanted something that adds a little friendly competition similar to who's line is it anyways (where the points don't really matter). It's quite a simple yet fun idea. Anyone can create scavenger hunts and you submit proof by uploading a photo or video.
It works a little something like this:
- You're out in Rome and there's a hunt in the app that asks you to find different types of Limoncello. There's Orangecello, Limoncello, Limecello, and some really weird ones like... baconcello?!
- You walk into a store and find Limoncello and Orangecello.. You get a free sample, take a video of the experience, and upload it in the app. Boom! That's 50 points right there.
- Meanwhile, your travel buddies found Limecello, took a video, then took another video, and kept taking videos and selfies with the Limecello. They're definitely having a ton of fun.
- At the end of your trip, a video is compiled with all of the photos and videos from all of the hunts and all of your favorite travel companions. It's a memory that lasts for multiple lifetimes.
Scavenger Hunter is built for iOS and Android. It's brand new and in beta, so there are definitely bugs.
Some of the things I thought about while making the app include:
- Uploading with or without a data plan – You can upload later when back at the hotel or airbnb with wifi.
- You don't have to use the app's built-in camera. You can use any app you'd like and upload photos and videos from your camera roll for any hunt at any time. This makes it also possible to use different apps (snapchat, instagram, etc) or even different devices.
- Anyone can create scavenger hunts for your group. They're a lot of fun and I highly encourage everyone to get involved.
- Designed to enhance your travel experience, not distract from it. Some of the hunts are simple like taking funny selfies with a statue or recording a video with a mime. But if you want to make a whole day of it, there's nothing stopping you!